Before the arrival of European settlers, the Cedar Park area was inhabited by various Native American tribes including the Tonkawa, the Apache, and the Comanche. An archaeological site was discovered in there in 1983 showing evidence of habitation in the area since 5000 BC. In the mid-1800s the community was known as Running Brushy. In 1873 George and Harriet Cluck, after having run cattle up the Chisholm Trail for years, bought 329 acres of land that included the Running Brushy spring. The ranch formed the core of the community that would one day become Cedar Park.